A literature review of the guidelines for road side design and maintenance that are currently used by road authorities and practitioners in each of the participating countries will be conducted. Those guidelines will be assessed and the problem leading to the development of the project will be defined.
WP1 consists of 6 different tasks:
- Literature search and selection of documents
- Literature review and relationship between road side elements and safety (empirical basis)
- Evaluation of design standards and guidelines
- Assessment of road side maintenance guidelines, practices and road worker safety
- Problem definition and scale of problem (road side crashes; road workers, etc.)